How is it possible to find a healthy balance of media and screen time in front of our children so they are not competing for our attention? Caroline Knorr, Common Sense Media parenting editor, offers these 5 tips:
1. Be a good role model: Set an example by using media the way you want to use it. Keep devices away from the dinner table and turn off the television when it is not being used.
2. Start good habits early: Establish screen time limits and stick to them. Don’t just talk the talk, walk the walk.
3. Use media together: Whenever you can, watch, play and listen with your kids.
4. Keep distractions to a minimum: Shut off your devices during important family time and get rid of the stuff that distracts you.
5. Turn work off: Set healthy boundaries for family time and work time.
Check out Common Sense Media’s Don’t Miss The Moment video to help remind us of the important balance between technology and real time.
To keep up to date with information and resources, visit the GWA Digital Citizenship Weebly and like us on our Digital Citizenship Facebook Page.